Sunday, March 01, 2009

dead of its own too-much

I write notes for myself. When I read something that references another idea that I think I'd like to know more about, I put it down on a sticky note, or a scrap of paper.

Leopold Mountain Wolf

It is good to learn of kindred souls. It is good to know of another's thoughts that seem to pull out the essence of your being as if the other was a part of your being.



I don't dare consider myself worthy to stand upon the pantheon with Aldo Leopold; but when I read his words, I realize the feelings within my mind that I have not to this point been able to express. There are things of this world that are just beyond the realm of my understanding; as if I'm just out of reach of pulling myself up to that higher perch where I can see over that next hill.



When I find a writer, a teacher, who ties together for me the ideas around me, I feel a joy. And this feeling I cannot adequately express. It is an exhiliration and a relief: to work so hard to understand a myriad of ideas that I somehow intuit are related, and then like a game-winning drive in the final seconds, it is true; the final thread is sewn between the ideas, and they are one. A new understanding, that will become a foundation for the future me, as I set out on my ascent of the next mountain.

3 Comments:

Blogger Eileen said...

Amen! Nice wordsmithing. I know the feeling well I.ve cut out and copied so many profundities that strike the soul and change reality.

6:40 PM, March 01, 2009  
Blogger Ray Errol Fox / Son of the Cucumber King said...

Although I discovered your blog by accident via googlealerts--"Bernie's Journey" is the title of an entry I posted on my blog, http://sonofthecucumberking.blogspot.com/--I'm delighted to know you and your pensive writings.
P.S The Bernie I wrote about is Bernard Madoff.

8:00 PM, March 01, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you have deep thoughts and wonderment it's times like this that make the mind it's best, and most active. When the deep thougths leave you in this deep wonderment you have for your whole life a resorce that stand available to reach conclusions and definition. Use it always as it's free and available--da
Dad

11:05 AM, March 02, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home