Saturday, August 07, 2010

Brakes v2.0

I overestimated myself.

About 5 years ago, I changed the brake pads on the Geo. I learned how online, and since I figure if someone else can do something, so can I. Just maybe not as well at first, and if I practice, I can do better.

I knew brakes would be due on the Tundra soon, so I checked a few DIY sites last winter, and saved the links. Then, when the mechanic told me this spring that I should replace the brake pads this summer, I went and got some pads at the parts store.

And this weekend, I planned to get 'er done. A couple hours should do it.

After 5 1/2 hours today, I got one side done. I almost gave up a few times. But after consulting my storehouse of the knowledge of physics, leverage, tools and what-not, I pushed on.

Now I'm sore, and it's late, and I'm only half done. But I think tomorrow will go smoother - I won't have the hesitancy at each step that I had today. Today I established the learning curve, tomorrow I ride it.

So I will have a shower and a couple of beers, dinner and a movie, and hopefully my muscles will be good to go for round two tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bernie said...

Less than 2 hrs for the right side. The rust wasn't as bad, and the experience I gained yesterday improved my confidence and technique.

12:36 PM, August 08, 2010  
Blogger Eileen said...

Excellent example of perseverence. I especially like the part about "if somebody else can do it, why not I." But I think I'll stick to crafts and domestic projects because we might need our brakes sometime!

9:15 AM, August 10, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home