Saturday, December 15, 2007

Cooker men

Wednesday I texted home to Shelly and let her know I would cook supper, and if the kids had their homework done, and rooms clean, they could help me make cookies afterward. I had a hankerin' for some comfort food.
Shelly doesn't like celery, and I don't care much either way, so we hardly ever have it. But the other day at work, I smelled something good cooking at a home I was delivering to. I deduced that the ingredient that stood-out in my memory-emotion association was a pan-fried hamburger/onion/celery combination. So that night I bought celery.
Wednesday I only had to work about eleven hours, so I would have time to try and imitate Mom's cooking. She used to cook hamburger/onion/celery with probably garlic salt and cream of mushroom soup, I figured. I made box-mashed potatoes to compliment it. It turned out similar, but you can never truly cook like Mom.
After dinner, Jamie and I made Heath candy bar-chip cookies. Kayla had too much homework.

Last night Kayla had a dance, then stayed at Kathryn's. I made venison stir-fry, and after dinner, Jamie and I played cribbage, Jamie's first time. He did pretty good. Then this morning, he and I made bacon and French toast. We need some energy to work and play outside today.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eileen said...

Hi, nice to hear of your homey adventures. I can't imagine a home without celery. Celery and onions are still the most used vegetables in this house -eaten raw with dill dip, cooked in stews, most casseroles and sloppy joes. That recipe you were thinking of is in the blue homemade cookbook. You were pretty close but forgot the french style green beans. Hope those eleven hour days are soon a thing of the past.

10:48 PM, December 15, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Makes me wish I was at your house having dinner and breakfast!
dad

10:35 AM, December 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home