Saturday, July 16, 2011

Following

When I have an idea, something I want to look into later, I write myself a note. When I think of something at work, I write my ideas on the back of one of my pink delivery notices. I have a pile of pink sticky notes, and various other scraps with ideas I mean to follow. I just need a little time.


I started vacation at 4:56 last night. I have a little time.

This evening, after a day of relaxing (I cleaned and went for a bike ride last night), I picked a sticky note out of the pile.

  • a couple of ideas for a song
  • a note to myself for work
  • a question about bass lines, roots, fifths and minor thirds
- the work thing was taken care of the day I wrote the note, I just had plenty of space left on the note to write other things
- I went to the keyboard and answered my question about roots/3rds/5ths satisfactorily
- I didn't feel like starting another song right now

So the note was not complete - back in the pile.

I chose another.

  • An idea for editing one of my Travesty videos - already done
  • "Post corrected Monday morning" - I don't know what that means anymore.
  • four songs
  1. Girl Can't Help It - (Journey) listened, read lyrics, meh
  2. Night In Tunisia - not in the mood
  3. Come As You Are bass - (Nirvana) they must tune up a 1/4 step or something, I couldn't quite match it and didn't feel like pursuing it further.
  4. Bolero - (Ravel)... and away we go..
Now the reason I'm blogging this evening:

We will follow the links (metaphoric and virtual).

I decided to sit down and write (after making all of these connections) at dinnertime.. on vacation.. so I opened a bottle of wine (La Joya Casa Reserve Carmenere 2007) and got some crackers and dip I had made earlier.

So I listened to a bit of Maurice Ravel's Bolero. Then I wondered if anyone had ever written a guitar tab for it. Sho nuff. Someone in the comments section mentions a James Gang version of it. Joe Walsh was a member of the James Gang, I checked him out. Listened to a couple songs. Saw mention on a couple YouTube pages of a story about he and Stevie Nicks... checked her out. Here's a good synopsis of that story of the two musicians:

"
Songfacts:
This song was written as a tribute to Joe Walsh of the Eagles. In the liner notes of her TimeSpace album, Stevie explained:
"I guess in a very few rare cases, some people find someone that they fall in love with the very first time they see them... from across the room, from a million miles away. Some people call it love at first sight, and of course, I never believed in that until that night I walked into a party after a gig at the hotel, and from across the room, without my glasses, I saw this man and I walked straight to him. He held out his hands to me, and I walked straight into them. I remember thinking, I can never be far from this person again... he is my soul. He seemed to be in a lot of pain, though hid it well. But finally, a few days later, (we were in Denver), he rented a jeep and drove me up into the snow covered hills of Colorado... for about 2hours. He wouldn't tell me where we were going, but he did tell me a story of a little daughter that he had lost. To Joe, she was much more than a child. She was three and a half, and she could relate to him.

I guess I had been complaining about a lot of things going on on the road, and he decided to make me aware of how unimportant my problems were if they were compared to worse sorrows. So he told me that he had taken his little girl to this magic park whenever he could, and the only thing she EVER complained about was that she was too little to reach up to the drinking fountain. As we drove up to this beautiful park, (it was snowing a little bit), he came around to open my door and help me down, and when I looked up, I saw the park... his baby's park, and I burst into tears saying, 'You built a drinking fountain here for her, didn't you?' I was right, under a huge beautiful hanging tree, was a tiny silver drinking fountain. I left Joe to get to it, and on it, it said, dedicated to HER and all theothers who were too small to get a drink.

So he wrote a song for her, and I wrote a song for him... 'This is your song, ' I said to the people, but it was Joe's song. Thank you, Joe, for the most committed song I ever wrote. But more than that, thank you for inspiring me in so may ways. Nothing in my life everseems as dark anymore, since we took that drive.
(Thanks to Lisa Ball Ground, GA)
"

Song for Emma - Joe Walsh




When the river comes up and pulls you from the bank, ride it out the best you can. When it washes over you, let it soak in. When you can, take a breath, knowing that you will go under again. Stay afloat, eventually you'll reach the sea and it's endless possibilities.



I often go to songmeanings.net for lyrics because they also encourage people to give their interpretations of a song, or anecdotes related to a song:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home